Your roof valleys are the place where the two sections of the roof meet and gets rid of runoff water. Roof valleys in older roofs are troughs which are usually made of layers of roofing paper, but they eventually deteriorate after time. Harsh rains can get water underneath the shingles and cause leaks to happen in various areas of your home.
You may have to remove some of the shingles and install sheet-metal flashing from the top to the bottom of the valley. Use these tips to help you get the roof valley repair done:
- Take the new sheet-metal flashing in the valley and align the raised center with the center of the valley from the bottom to the top. Make sure you align the lower end of the raised center, with the roof’s lower edge.
- Use sheet metal cutters and to cut each of the side of the flashing at the lower end so that it conforms to the corresponding edges of the roof.
- Then, cut at each side of the valleys upper end to conform to the corresponding slopes of the roof.
- Use 1 ¼-inch roofing nails and a single hatchet or a hammer to attach the valley in place. Fasten the nails at 12-inch intervals along each side from the top to the bottom.
- Begin at the valley’s lower end and install replacement shingles on either side of the valley. You can use composition shingles or wood shingles, and match them up with the existing shingles.
- Position the lower edge of each shingle placing the lower edges of the corresponding shingles on the roof.
- Using a utility knife, trim the shingle’s inner end an inch away from the raised center of the flashing.
- Nail the upper edges of the shingles with the appropriate 5d shingle nails (for wood shingles) and 1 ½-inch roofing nails (for composition).
- Going in the direction of the upper end of the valley, trim and install rows of shingles, aligning them in the existing rows at each of the valleys sides.
- Trim the shingles at the uppermost row so that is conforms with the corresponding roof sections.
If you are looking for roofing in Nashville then you have come to the right place and we can help you with all of your roofing and contracting needs with our certified roofers and contractors in Nashville. We start with an inspection and a free estimate for your roof installation, repair, or replacement. Sometimes storms happen and we are there for you to fix leaky roofs and more. We offer both commercial and residential roofing services for the dynamic communities of Nashville Tennessee and surrounding areas.