Your home’s gutters are an often overlooked but hugely important system that protects your home. Gutters help to carefully move water away from your home to prevent water damage to your home and its foundation. If your gutters do not function properly, then they can cause a variety of problems for your home.
If your gutters are showing any of these symptoms, then they must be fixed immediately
- The general presence of rust
- Stains on the underside of eaves
- Bubbling paint or rust on the underside of the gutters
Even if your gutters don’t show any of these signs, you should still check that they maintain proper water flow away from your home. To check for signs of improper flow, follow these steps.
- Carefully get up onto a ladder and gently lift one of the roof tiles. Examine the roof under the tile for signs of moisture or water damage.
- Check the eaves for any timber-rot because of a leak.
- Peep inside the gutters, too. Scrape the dirt away and see if there are any pools of water. If there are, then this may mean that the direction of the gutter’s flow is incorrect.
Minor gutter problems, like leaks, can be easily fixed. Silicone sealants or specialized tapes can be purchased at local hardware stores. Carefully use these products to plug any leaks in your gutters.
Stains around the windows, down walls, or on ceilings can be signs of gutter overflow. This occurs when your gutters are broken or clogged and hold water at your roof, instead of moving it safely from your home.
Some common causes of gutter overflow are:
- Debris clogging the gutter
- Insufficient sloping towards the downpipe
- Blocked downpipes or drains
- Overload of the roof’s drainage system
- Excessive rust
- Faulty installation
Gutter Maintenance – Prevent EXPENSIVE Problems
The easiest method to prevent these serious problems caused by a faulty gutter is to properly inspect and maintain your gutters. Here are some simple steps that you can take to ensure that your gutters keep working all year long.
- Ensure that you clean your gutters at least twice a year. If your home has trees close to it, then you should have the gutters cleaned more often.
- Frequent cleaning will help to ensure that your gutters won’t get clogged and overflow. Standing water in your gutters can freeze in the winter, forming ice dams that can weigh down your gutters. These ice dams can pull the gutters away from your home, allowing water to penetrate under your roof.
- Cleaning your gutters will also prevent mosquitos and other insects from being attracted to your home.
- Make sure to clean the downspout as well. This is easily done with a long-handled brush and a hose with a high pressure nozzle.
- You can also install leaf strainers in your drain tops so that you can prevent debris from entering and clogging the downspouts.
Don’t worry – we can fix it! If you’re in Nashville, you can contact us for all of your roofing needs. We are certified roofers in Nashville and we start with an inspection and a FREE estimate for your roof installation, repair, or replacement. Even when storms do their damage, we’re there for you to fix leaky roofs and more. Pick up the phone and call 615-590-7428 today.